To celebrate Halloween, here are 13 scary facts about your tap water that might make your blood boil. Make sure your filter is capable of providing you with clean and safe water rather than just water that "tastes better".
1. Fluoride, the same contaminant added to our tap water, is considered a poison (its actually used as a rat poison) and if you swallow only a pea-sized amount (the same amount as in an average 8oz glass of water in the U.S.) you are meant to contact poison control.
2. Cancer causing Chromium-6 has been found in more than 75% of US tap water supplies.
3. Tap water rules allow for MORE Chlorine than what is in a public swimming pool!
4. Many well-known water filters including Brita and Pur only remove the contaminants that affect the taste and smell of your water giving it the impression that its cleaner when in fact it's just barely better than what comes out of the tap.
5. Various estimates indicate that, based on business as usual, ~3.5 planets Earth would be needed to sustain a global population achieving the current lifestyle of the average European or North American.
6. Three quarters of all Americans live within 10 miles of polluted water.
7. Only one percent of all the world’s water can be used for drinking. Nearly 97 percent of the world’s water is salty or otherwise undrinkable, and the other two percent is locked away in ice caps and glaciers
8. Some old water pipes still contain lead, a poisonous metal. Lead may cause a range of health effects including behavioral problems and learning disabilities. Children six years old and under are most at risk because this is when the brain is developing.
Above map shows people served by community water systems with reported violations of the lead and copper rule
9. The EPA’s Safe Drinking Water Act (1974) regulates only 91 of the over 60,000 chemicals used in the United States. Even low levels of hundreds of legally allowed contaminants have been associated with a wide range of diseases, including cancer.
10. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that Americans annually take 40 trillion gallons of water from the ground, and the rate of use is increasing 25% per decade. Scientists argue that ground water is being polluted and used at a rate that far outstrips nature’s ability to cope.
11. The tap water of at least 41 million Americans has been found to contain a wide range of pharmaceuticals, including sex hormones and anti-seizure medicine.
12. More than 62 million Americans since 2004 have been exposed to substandard tap water. This exposure has lasted for years for some people.
13. Toxins in tap water can accumulate in the body for years, increasing the risk for developing cancer and all types of diseases.
(2) http://www.ewg.org/research/chromium-six-found-in-us-tap-water http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/health/chromium-6-in-drinking-water/http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/results/areas/hexchrom/research.html
(7) U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. "WATER ON TAP: what you need to know." 2009. Web Accessed May 2, 2015.
(8) U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. "Basic Information about Lead in Drinking Water." Web Accessed May 2, 2015.
(9) Duhigg, Charles. “That Tap Water is Legal, But May Be Unhealthy.” December 16, 2009. Accessed: May 13, 2010.
(10) Roddick, Anita. 2004. Troubled Water. Boulder, CO: Chelsea Green Publishing Company.
(11) “Probe: Pharmaceuticals in Drinking Water.” CBS News. March 10, 2009. Accessed: May 13, 2010.
(12) Roddick, Anita. 2004. Troubled Water. Boulder, CO: Chelsea Green Publishing Company.
(13) “Probe: Pharmaceuticals in Drinking Water.” CBS News. March 10, 2009. Accessed: May 13, 2010.